Traveling with Kiddos?
Planning a big trip? Taking the kiddos? Check out these 12 helpful tips for flying with kids.
*This post contains affiliate links, For more information please see my disclosure here.
We recently took a trip to Mexico and had a blast! But let me tell ya – Wowza was I was stressed before we left! First of all, being from a small town of 500 people- large crowds just freak me out. The thought of having to navigate through a huge airport and keep track of the kids and all our luggage totally sent me over the top.
I worried about packing the right clothing and all the extras, I worried we’d lose a child or a bag. I was freaked out we were all going to end up with the flu on the way down and be miserable the whole time. I know I worry too much.
Lucky for me our girls are seven and nine, and able to keep up pretty well. It helped we took a straight flight down to Mexico. We were traveling with other adult family members. This gave us extra help to make sure everyone ended up in the right place at the right time and in one piece.
12 Tips I learned about traveling with Kids that gave me a little piece of mind:
- Pack all the child’s belongings in a carry-on and backpack –Get your FREE Printable Flying with Kiddos Checklist– this made it simple for the kids to maneuver and there wasn’t the fear of losing their belongings with a checked bag.
- Make sure the carry on has those roller spinning wheels. – Makes it so much easier to maneuver through long lines. You can find the luggage our kids have here. I really recommend it. It’s lightweight and those spinners make it so easy for the kids to maneuver on their own.
- The luggage should be bright or colorful- Not only does this make it easy to identify, it makes it easier to spot your child should you be separated. Also, consider adding easy to identify stickers or ribbon to luggage.
- Roll all their clothing for packing- allows you to pack more in the suitcase and clothing doesn’t get so wrinkled.
- Pack their own backpacks with items they may use during the flight. Get my FREE printable checklist for flying with children.
- Take pictures of the whole family’s passports and email to yourself. I emailed them to both myself and my husband.
- If possible each parent is responsible for one kid as well as their passport and paperwork.
- Have them chew gum or/use these airplane earplugs. It helps with popping ears and pain with taking off and landing.
At the Resort
- If old enough have your child memorize the room number in case they get separated and need to find their way back.
- If your going to a beach bring lots of sunscreen – more than you think you’ll need- and make sure its the spray kind. The spray kind is just handier. You know -easier to put on with a drink in your hand. 😉
- Go to a nearby store- stock up on tons of water and snacks. Take them everywhere with you. It will be less expensive than the resort and keep you all a lot happier
- Rest- Again you’ll all just be much happier and have more fun.
- Pack your own small first aid kit and supplies, you can check out everything I packed in my purse, just sign up and receive your FREE printable Flying with Kiddos Checklist.
I hope this was helpful. If you have any great tips for traveling with kids. Please shoot me an email or leave a comment. I’d love to hear your helpful hints!
Whelp see ya!